Monday, September 16, 2013


Anna Herring
12:52 PM (4 hours ago)
to me
Hello Hello!
 
Another week has come and gone and I'm still loving being a missionary! In fact, it gets better!
 
Last week we got to go to Empty Nesters on Monday and we met this man who looked 60 but was in fact 84! He immediately loved us as the Sister Missionaries and decided to take us to the Science Museum today. He and his wife who is 65 both took us into Roanoke to the science museum, out to lunch, then to the Roanoke Star. They paid for everything and were super nice! The cool thing is, they are both Methodist. We are hoping that soon the elders will be able to teach them and help them learn more about church. We were grateful for their kindness and generosity to us. It's been a great day so far!
 
On Tuesday we got to go to the RAM house and do service and also had a great lesson with Bobbie. She is such a wonderful woman and is trying her hardest to come to know the truth. She is at church each Sunday, has read the entire Book of Mormon, and prays diligently. I know the Lord will bless her because of her diligence. She is not ready to baptized yet because she has some concerns with the Word of Wisdom and her family is not fully supportive. We taught her Sunday though about the Word of Wisdom and committed her to live it and she said she would! She said it would be hard to give up coffee and so I told her I would do it with her and give up sugar.....what?! That was definitely not me saying it. I've been praying for help to have the will power to eat healthier and to take better care of myself and this was Heavenly Father answering that prayer. I promise if it was me I would have said chocolate or bread, but sugar?! I have to keep it though and I told her we would do it together. It really is a blessing and I'm excited to do it. I feel healthier already! Bobbie is a strong woman and will not have a problem, but she told me she was competitive and so I knew this was a way to help urge her on even more...I just didn't think it was going to be sugar.:)
 
On Wednesday we began our zone fast in preparation for our specialized training. We were fasting to find the elect and to help with the mission goal of 50 baptisms and we were able to find 3 new investigators! That is a miracle! Sister Tuckett told me this has never happened to her. We first of all contacted a former investigator and he said that he'd been missing reading the Book of Momon and meeting with the missionaries. He said he wanted to meet with us again! We then went and contacted a referral and she welcomed us in and said that she was so glad we had come by because she had learned a little about the church in Mexico years earlier and was interested in learning more. We then contacted one other former investigator and he said that his daughter was sick and he was looking for a church. He said that he would like to begin meeting with the missionaries again and would come to church on Sunday. 3 new investigators! Miracles! It was amazing.
 
Thursday was our specialized training and we learned about all the tools missionaries have to hasten the work and we also got our white rings. I think the mission president is going to email you about our White Christmas. We wear these white rings and give one to a person we baptize and also to our bishop and ward mission leader. We then make sure that each companionship has a baptism before Christmas. Pretty exciting! That night we ate a member's home and she gave us each our favorite candy. Everyone in the ward knows I like Butterscotch lifesavers when Sister Nisse announced it in Relief Society and so she found me some Butterscotch candy. :) I will just have to wait a little to eat it. :) She also gave me a bag of Bliss Chocolate....so yummy! It hit me though, that I don't have one favorite candy...they are all delicious! Maybe I'm talking more about food because of the fact that there is no sugar in my system haha good times!
 
Friday was a rather slow day, but still good! We contacted some referrals and did our lovely weekly planning. We also got to visit Brother Avery and his famiy. You notice I'm starting to use names. I think it will mean more in these letters if you know the names of the people. Instead of "that family" haha Brother Avery and his cute grandkids are so nice! We get to go some service tomorrow morning for them and I'm excited to get muddy and dig out a ditch for the over flow of water from the spring. :) Ya, there are a lot of creeks and springs here.
 
Saturday we had a small but amazing miracle. We went to go contact a referral and on our way, a lady was in the road picking up trash from her trash can that had been attacked by bears. She was rather stressed so we got out and began helping her pick up the pieces. She started talking to us about what brought us to Back Creek and why were helping and we started talking about what we do and our church. She seemed very interested and said that she would like to come. She is a nurse so we wasn't able to attend this week, but she said she'd like to learn more! Woohoo! What a blessing! We happened to be in the right place at the right time. Thank goodness for the bears!
 
Sunday we got to also teach Josie. She is 17 and is amazing! She is ready to be baptized, but can't at this time because of the lack of support from her family. She has such a strong testimony and I know it is only a matter of time. We are praying for her family to accept her beliefs and her desire to follow Jesus Christ. It will happen because miracles are happening!
 
That has been our week....quite amazing! The Lord is truly hastening his work! I love being a part of it! We all can! Invite the missionaries over to your house for dinner! Give them the name of someone you know (they don't have to be ready for baptism). Give them a little treat and send them on their way! haha They can then knock on that door and tell them that their friends sent them and they would love to share a message. You can do missionary work! Even better, invite a non-member friend over for dinner and have the missionaries come! Non-threatening and very open environment (of course let them know beforehand). I wish I knew about these things before my mission. I know it is hard and sometimes awkward to share this message, but when you realize its importance, and when they see how much you care, they won't take it the wrong way. Pray for guidance! The Lord will help prepare them and you.
 
I love you all so much! Thank you for your examples to me. Thank you for the letters and the support. Remember the church is true! Remember that our family is forever! This is the Lord's restored church on the Earth today. We have a living prophet and we have scriptures and prayer to help us know what we should do. I love it!
 
Have the best week ever!
 
Love,
Sister Herring
 
Picture 1 - The view of my little neighborhood while on my morning run
 
Picture 2 - The butterfly garden in the museum!
 
Picture 3 - One of the butterflies
 
Picture 4 - The Roanoke Star!
 
The next pictures I send are from Sister Nisse's camera. :)


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.



4 attachments — Download all attachments   View all images  

No comments:

Post a Comment