Monday, October 14, 2013


October 14, 2013

Anna Herring
10:21 AM (44 minutes ago)
to me
Hello my wonderful family!
The last time I wrote I had recently found out about my new calling and was feeling a bit overwhelmed. It was amazing to me that Wednesday night, after I wrote you, we went to a member's house for dinner and they shared something that I believe was necessary for me at that time. They said, "What I am to be, I am now becoming." When I heard this I realized that Heavenly Father wanted me to know that I don't have to be just like the other Sister Training Leaders, I don't have to be perfect (thank goodness), but Heavenly Father is giving me these experiences in order to become the person and missionary that I'm supposed to be. Me! Each of us has unique talents and abilities. Heavenly Father doesn't want us to become something different or something that we're not, but he wants us to reach our potential! He gives us challenges and trials to stretch and to become what He sees in us. I know this may sound a little strange, but I'm grateful for challenges! Why? Because that means Heavenly Father sees us becoming something even greater! Not different, or worse, but greater! He knows what our spirits were like in the premortal life and each of us has the potential for greatness. Trials help us see how we can turn our weaknesses into strengths. We have to stay close to Him during our challenges/trials and then we become what He needs for the future, who we've become! Throughout life we will always experience challenges, but with our Heavnely Father, we will become something even greater! I don't know why this hit me so hard, but I got excited thinking about it. :) I'm a nerd, I know.
Thursday was Transfer day. Transfers are always a bit crazy with new missionaries coming in and old ones leaving. We got a phone call at 5:40 am from the zone leaders that they needed this pass to get through the toll booths to Charleston for transfers. Sister Nisse and I were out the door by 5:50 and were able to drive through the rain to get it to them in time for transfers. We then came home and later on were able to welcome the new sisters with little treat bags we had made. I hope they are excited to finally be here! We also got to try this cute little cupcake shop called Bubblecake and the girl at the counter lives in our area. Potential investigator! Woowoo! We talked to her a little about our beliefs and she seemed very interested. We plan to go back and possibly teach her. We then ended the night by eating at Gary and Jackie Ferguson's house where we were invited to come back next week to make Apple Butter! Yay!
Friday was kind of the trial before the witness of faith. :) It was a little rough with nobody being home, people avoiding us, and feeling a little off. Still a good day, just not what we'd expected at all! Happy thought for the day was when we were visiting the Avery family. The little boy got off the bus and Allie, his sister, gave him a Snickers bar. He said, "No thank you, grandpa, can I have a carrot?" You can imagine my astonishment! Refusing a Snickers for a carrot? Crazy! hahaha
Saturday was the beginning of our miracles. Or witness after the trial of our faith. We started off the day by helping a family move into the area which was good. In the evening we went to a "Mormon" party at Bobbie's house. She loves the ward and is so close to baptism it is crazy! She does everything a Mormon does, but she refuses to be baptized yet. So strange! The ward loves her and she fed us some delicious shrimp gumbo. First time for everything right? We left the party early to go see Nancy who works at Country Way. This is where the miracle took place. We went in and we've been wanting to teach her for months. She is a sweetheart. Well, we started talking to her and she began telling us that she has had a few trials lately and that she thinks that God had sent us to her! We gave her a Book of Mormon and testified that it would bring her peace and answers to life's questions. We then scheduled a time to meet with her this coming week to discuss it. She is so elect! I can't wait to teach her and help her come closer to our Savior. It was a huge tender mercy for us!
Sunday continued to bring miracles. First of all, Nancy Moorhead (different Nancy than before) came to church, Josie's sister came to church. I'm not sure if you remember these two women, but Nancy's sister is a member and Nancy has been meeting with us for awhile, but her sister is in town, so Nancy has agreed to go to church with her. This is a small step and we are hoping it will spur Nancy to continue coming even after her sister leaves. Josie is 17 and is ready for baptism now. She is absolutely amazing! She loves the gospel and is just waiting for parent permission. Her family has been against her associations with the church, so for her sister to come, it was a wonderful step in the right direction!
After church we got to eat dinner at the Bishop's house before heading to our huge miracle! We were planning on visiting Khan because its been a while since we saw him last. When we drove up, we immediately felt that it was not the right time. We didn't know what to do, so we were going to see the Light family, but on the way, we drove by this cute home decorated with Halloween and Christmas lights. I was drawn to it! We had stopped once before, but no one had answered, this time as we drove by it, Sister Nisse pulled over and we went up to see if anyone was home. A beautiful African American woman answered the door and welcomed us in. Her husband was sitting at the table and he asked us if we had come by before. We sheepishly said yes and then he told us that he had been home before but that he never opens the door. He said the fact that we came back when his wife was home was a sign that he needed to listen to our message. :) We began sharing the message of the Book of Mormon with them and he and his wife were completely engaged. He said that the gospel is exactly what he was looking for in his baptist faith. He had been meeting with some Jehovah Witnesses, but was not convinced of that religion. He and his wife said they would love for us to come back and that until then, they would begin reading the Book of Mormon! Don and Gayle are amazing! We asked if we could leave with a prayer and holding hands, Sister Nisse said the closing prayer along with their chorus of "Amen"s and "Thank you Jesus". Good times :) We then ran out to our car (pretty much it felt like we floated out), and realized that we had forgotten to give them our phone number. We ran back up and Gayle was waiting. We walked in to get their phone number and Don was sitting at the table already reading. I love this mission! We aren't scheduled to come back until November 6th, but I feel like something will happen before then. :)
That was pretty much our awesome week! A few trials, but again, those trials made us lean more upon our Savior and prayer. We were able to witness miracles and we look forward to seeing even more.
I love serving in Back Creek and I'm grateful I get to be here for Apple Butter! :) The people are so loving and willing to help. Missions are amazing! I want each of my nephews and if it is right, nieces, to serve missions! They are only 2 years or 18 months long and completely worth every minute! (Especially the hard ones). I love this gospel and the light that comes when we study it. I love my wonderful family, every single one of you! I pray for you daily and I know the Lord hears and answers our prayers! I've seen it and I've seen His hand in my life. We are so blessed to have this restored gospel today! Study the scriptures! Invite non-members and the missionaries into your homes! Pray! Go to church! Have faith!
I love you all again!
Love,
Sister Herring
 

No comments:

Post a Comment