Monday, October 21, 2013

October 21, 2013
Inbox
x

Anna Herring
11:59 AM (5 hours ago)
to me
Bonjour! heehee
I don't know why, but right now I've got major chills! It is not as cold as Russia at all! But I'm freezing! Ahh! So this letter might seem a little spacey with where my mind is.
Rex and Kortlynn sound like Rockstars as I already knew they were. Seriously amazing! Tammy! It's your birthday this week! Sweet! I hope it is a happy one!
Well, Monday I got this super cute skirt from Goodwill for $3 and I already love it! Future missionaries, shop at Goodwill! It will change your life! haha After P-Day was over, we went and visited this lady who is recently divorced and is struggling, but she loves the missionaries and members of the church, so we are hoping to help her love the gospel as well. We then rushed over to Empty Nesters which is the best thing ever! I'm totally starting one in Arizona when I get home. :) I got to visit with a bunch of people which is one of my favorite activities and eat food and listen/sing along with Bluegrass! I can't wait to show you the videos! The people here are salt of the Earth (I'm talking Clint and Cherie Wiltbank status or Rick and Melinda!) How are you guys?! Come to think of it, I know a lot of salt of the Earth good people! My fam (of course and anyone related by marriage, oh wait, that's everyone!), the Hansens, Whitings, Robertsons, Rabans, Nielsens, Udalls, Pattersons, Platts, Broadbents, Crosbys, Lindseys, Petersons, Proctors, Ashtons, Eisleys, Andersons, Lees, Burdicks, Mangums, Oversons, Heaps, Bradshaws, and every other family in St. Johns! You are all loved! Truly! Amazing! I am blessed to say I've come from St. Johns!
Tuesday we had a District Leader Conference, so it was me, Sister Nisse, the zone leaders, and a bunch of District Leaders trying to figure out how to inspire this zone. We decided to focus our efforts on finding 3 new investigators and setting 2 people on date. Sister Nisse and I then went to lunch with a bunch of women from the ward and area at Annie Moore's Pub (no worries, we abstained from alcohol) haha I got some amazing Irish Nachos. So good! So unhealthy! We then got a call from this inactive lady in our ward that she had made a cake and wanted us to finish it off! Thanks for choosing us! This is possibly the best cake I've ever had in my life! Orange Creamcicle! We are eating dinner at her house on Tuesday and yes I will be getting the recipe and posting it on my next letter. They should call it Orange Dreamcicle! Okay, maybe that is already its name. haha We then went and made a wreath at the Shillenger home which we were planning to give to Sister Alarcon because of her kindness to us. We put ladybugs on it and it turned out so cute!
Wednesday we at our District Meeting where we began the zone goal officially and we were all pumped! We found a new investigator and met with her this morning! She is elect by far! Amazing! We called her because she was a former and she said she wants to learn more and set up an appointment with us today. In the evening we went to Sister Alarcon for dinner and she made us a huge meal! Chips and guacamole, broccoli and cheese soup, then for our main course Chilean spaghetti! Holy cow! I was so full! She is too good to us! (And no Kortlynn and Rex, mine was all cooked and very normal! haha I can't believe what you guys are eating and liking! Yikes!
On Wednesday, we went to contact some referrals and I've decided that the family that gave us our first referral is fired. haha We went up on this backwoods road for about 20 minutes to find a man named Pete Bell. He had the most amazing view from his cabin and there were two women in the home with him, so we went in and he began talking about how he felt he was already a Mormon and had read the entire Book of Mormon! Golden right? Wrong! His language was interspersed with every word in the book and he had no shirt on, long hair, and a beard. He also told dirty jokes, and was not small. Yikes! But it was amazing to me to feel my Heavenly Father's love for this man. I saw him as our Savior sees us. Clean cut, white shirt and tie, potential beyond belief, and amazing! He told us that we could come back anytime, but I don't think we'll be coming back until a member comes with us. Yikes! It was a bit sketch and felt gross when we left. Someday he will come around, I just think it should be with a member the next time. We then contacted a guy who had helped with the D.C. temple and he had some amazing stories! Not interested, but amazing stories! I was so confused as I think he is. We then went to contact a sweet old widow who turned out to be a basher and not interested whatsoever! We left on good terms though and she wished us luck. Nice lady in the end! I like the prickly kind, it makes me feel like Pollyanna :). We ended the night at dinner with some members who are a great help to our missionary force and came home a bit tired...Long day for sure!
Friday though brought our first exchange and I had Sister Stone come to Back Creek with me and Sister Nisse went to Botetourt (Bought-eh-tot) with Sister Stringham. Sister Stone and I went to the Fergusons to help out making Apple Butter and then went to see an inactive lady who said she'd come to the Primary program! A step! Then dinner with the Sheldons who are from Massachusetts and have the best accents ever! We ended the night with Alan and Benita looking at the Lunar Eclipse and talking about charity. I felt like I was home watching the stars with my awesome parents on our trampoline minus the trampoline, and Josh Groban :) haha
Saturday we worked at the Animal Shelter by surprise (we were planning on contacting people, but the animal shelter lady was stressed and just about cried when we said we could stay.) We then went to stir the apple butter and then that night we went to Bellacino's, a pizza place, with Alan and Benita. We taught them a little bit about the temple which they will be going to soon to do baptisms and in August of next year to be sealed! So awesome! I got to try a cheeseburger pizza! You read right, a cheeseburger pizza! Exotic yes? haha
Sunday was beautiful...We were hoping for a few investigators at church and knew which ones would come for sure, but as church started and their normal seats were empty...we started losing faith. Just then, Billy Ferguson, a member, opened the door and with him was Nancy Knowles!!! Our friend that works at Country Way!!! I think I've already had Christmas this year, don't worry about getting me anything haha. She came and sat by me and said, "See, I told you somebody was listening." Holy cow! I love her and our ward! She is so kind and genuine! She's being added to the list of Salt of the Earth good people. We then had plans to go tracting because we were still lacking two investigators for the week and 2 dates. The District Leaders came to help while we went to dinner at the Richardson's and during dinner they found one new, one potential, and one less-active member! Sweet! I love our elders! They are awesome! We then looked at the clock and it was 7:40 and we needed one more. We were driving to an area to tract and I told sister Nisse to pull over at this random house on the side of the road that had its lights on. This mother opened the door and her two kids and she is from Thailand! She took a Book of Mormon and asked us to come back! We taught her a bit about what we believe considering she is Buddhist, we couldn't go into great depth (I could use some tips, Kortlynn). We are going to get her a Thai Book of Mormon and I'm excited and amazed that Heavenly Father helped us! We didn't get our 2 dates, but we will this week!
Today we taught Cherice Webb and her husband Mitchell and they are so elect! We have a return appointment with them next week and that is with their 3 year old running around like a wild woman! The spirit was still there and we are going to invite them to be baptized next week! Yay! We then get to go bowling with the sisters this afternoon as a pick-me-up because a few are a bit frustrated from an off week. I'm having them text me their miracles/tender mercies each day to help them focus on the good they are doing. I know this will help them see more and they will have a better mission because of this. Keeping a journal is essential! Some of them aren't, so I'm becoming their journal! haha
Well, that was my week. Sorry for the detail. I bet I'll be writing you another letter by the time you finish reading this one! haha I love this work and I love my companion! We love Back Creek and the gospel! Thank you for all your support and love. I feel it every day! Keep on being member missionaries wherever you are! You will see miracles!
Love,
Sister Herring
Picture 1 - Leaves on our drive!
Picture 2 - Stirring apple butter...don't laugh too hard at my concentration face or no hair haha I slicked it back and regret it. :
)



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment