Sunday, October 13, 2013


October 9, 2013  
Inbox
x

Anna Herring
Oct 9 (4 days ago)
 
to me
 
Dear Family!
 
First off, Kortlynn, you don't need to do your letters like me. Your letters are amazing! I'm just a nerd! 
Rex you sound and look fantastic! My companion says you look like the guy from Glee! ;) 
Happy Birthday yesterday to Mason you are a stud! All of you family, I love you bucket loads!
 
This past week and a half have been fabulous! Sadly, I left my journal and old planner at home so I'm 
going to be a bit scatter-brained in this letter. I am now in my new planner with a new transfer. Exciting! 
I'm sticking with Sister Nisse for the next 6 weeks which I'm grateful for. We know how each other works 
and with the coming transfer I need that to stay the same. I just got called to be the new Sister Training 
Leader...this means I will be responsible for the 6 sets of sisters in my zone. We will go on weekly 
exchanges, do training, and help assist them in ways that might be difficult for the zone leaders. I also 
get to go to all the meetings for the leaders in the mission. I'm so excited for that part! I'm going to learn 
so much! There are 5 other Sister Training Leaders in the mission and they've all been out much longer 
than me, so I'm hoping they will help me understand what's expected and also how I can train the sisters 
in my zone to be more obedient, focused, and energized. I'm excited for this experience and nervous as 
well. I know the Lord will sustain me through this and I know He doesn't make mistakes. My conversation 
with the mission president on the calling went like this, "Sister Herring, the Lord has called you to be the 
new Sister Training Leader." I all of a sudden felt a little heavier, but ready to serve at the same time. I'm 
excited to see the miracles from this experience!
 
We went this past week to visit Jessica. She is from Mexico and the last time we visited her, we taught 
her about the restoration of the gospel and she said she was interested in learning more, but would have 
to ask her husband. Well, when we went to visit her, who should answer the door, but her husband! He 
welcomed us in and she was putting the baby to bed so we got to teach him about the restoration and he 
said he would like to learn more but would have to ask his wife! Oh my goodness! They are amazing 
people and we gave him a Spanish Book of Mormon. He said he would read and pray about it and he has 
great friends in the ward. We are excited to see what happens with him! I've also decided that I'm going 
to begin reading the Spanish Book of Mormon during lunch with the English Book of Mormon to see if I 
can improve my Spanish ability. I know that Miracles come from this and I know if it is needed, that 
Heavenly Father will help me learn. It is not needed at this time, but I feel like it would be a neat thing to 
do with my lunch hour. Why not?! If I have time. I don't know what kind of time I'll have with my new 
responsibility, but I would like to try.
 
We had a great lesson with Bobbie this week, but she is not ready to commit. It is heartbreaking because 
she's read the Book of Mormon, she watched conference, she comes to church, she prays. She does 
everything we ask and knows this is true except she won't agree to be baptized. She doesn't want to be a 
member of the church because of a few concerns with family and the Word of Wisdom. She said, she 
wants to be fully committed and to "know" from God that this is true. She said she pretty much needs a 
sign at this point, so there is not much more we can do until she wants it. She has her agency still and 
we can't force her to do anything. We can only testify and promise her the blessings of keeping the 
commandments. It is sad, but it has made me grateful to "know" and to have the support of my family. 
I know that this church is true! I know the Book of Mormon is evidence of this! I know that it was 
translated by the Power of God through the prophet Joseph Smith and that we have a prophet upon the 
Earth today! I pray for Bobbie daily and I am grateful that each of us has our agency. Our Heavenly 
Father loves us and trusts us so much! We need to show our love for Him by keeping the 
commandments and following His son's example and be baptized and endure to the end. Our Savior 
didn't give up when it was hard or when He felt completely alone, He endured every trial! So can we! 
Our Heavenly Father will support us and is aware of us. We are never alone.
 
Conference was a breath of fresh air! I think it felt more like Christmas than anything else. I couldn't write 
fast enough and I never wanted it to end! Those men are truly called of God and know exactly what 
needs to be said by revelation from God! We have a prophet today! We are so blessed! I loved Elder 
Dube's talk and also Elder Ochoa's. They were all amazing though and I loved President Uchtdorf's talk 
on why people join the church. Amazing! I hope you all enjoyed it and have a new energy to do 
missionary work! All of us our called of God! Woohoo!
 
We also got a chance to teach Donna Tucker. I can't remember if I told you about her, but we had tracted 

into her while contacting a referral and she told us to come back. When we came back she welcomed us 
in and told us that her sister-in-law is a member, she knows many amazing Mormons and that she is 
looking for a church that fits.She already has a copy of the Book of Mormon and everything she said 
pointed to the fact that Heavenly Father has prepared her. She said she's a mess right now and used to 
be Southern Baptist. Exciting! She even said she believes that there could be prophets today. Wow! 
Elect! She told us to come back and we both felt that she is already a Mormon. We are so excited to 
officially teach her. We gave a run-down version of the Restoration and it was such a great experience! 
She is awesome! I should have invited her to be baptized right then, but her husband was coming home 
and we caught her at not the best time, but she is anxious to learn more! I will let you know how it goes.
 
Another day this week, we attempted to contact a member who hasn't been to church for over 40 years. 
Apparently there was a serious offense to the church and he's been angry and bitter towards the people. 
We went to contact him and he let us in! (Of course, we did have a plate of brownies), but it was amazing!
He said he didn't want any religion, but Sister Nisse was sharing an experience from her life and tied in a 
gospel principle. Amazing! He said we could come back anytime! Miracle!
 
Well, that was our last little week, I promise to have my notes next time to better information about the 
day to day stuff, but those are the highlights. :) The rest of the week was great, just regular days in the 
life of a missionary in Roanoke, Virginia. :)
 
One last funny story, Sister Tuckett and I went on an exchange on Monday and we got to go serve at the 
animal shelter. While we were there, one of the rabbits had been knocked on its back and couldn't get up! 
We were laughing so hard! (Mean, but true!) We thought it was having a baby! We then turned it back 
over and it was fine! Sister Tuckett videotaped it and goes home at the end of November. She told me 
she would put it on Facebook when she got home haha prepare to laugh. So funny!
 
Well, I'd better head off, just know that I love each of you! All is well in Roanoke and I love being a 
missionary! I love this gospel and I'm so grateful that our family is eternal! I know that the temple is 
where we all should strive to be and each of us is now a missionary! Get involved! Love the gospel! 
Share it with friends and don't worry, the worst that could happen is they will think you are a weird 
Mormon. (They probably already do) :)
 
Have the best week ever!
 
Love,
Sister Herring
 
Picture 1 - Sister Nisse's legs. Each of those bandaids are covering a mosquito bite. I want you to know, 
I have none...:)
 
Picture 2 - Sister Nisse and I after I got to play doctor.
 
Picture 3 - It's officially scarf season! Woohoo!



No comments:

Post a Comment