Wednesday, November 20, 2013

November 21, 2013

Family!!!
 
This will be my last email from Roanoke. I received word last Wednesday that I am going to be transferred tomorrow to Charleston, WV. I'm going to be training a new sister and become the Sister Training Leader over that zone...ya I'm not breathing yet either. I was a little in shock after the mission president called me. We don't usually find out until Tuesday night, but when he called a week early, I got a little nervous and for a good reason! Holy cow! It will be an amazing experience though and I know I am going where I am needed. It is amazing to see how much we are supported when we do what our Heavenly Father asks of us. I have picked up a philosophy of "Just do it, then think later." haha I am a firm believer that our Heavenly Father will not give us any more than we can handle. I am just excited to get to work. I will be in the same ward as the mission president, the APs, the Charleston Zone leaders, and the District Leaders. Talk about pressure! Goodness gracious! I will definitely be needing your prayers. The cool part is, I will get to welcome the new missionaries this next transfer to the mission. Isn't Brother Hollenbeak's son coming here? I'll get to welcome him!
 
Last week was quite a slow week. We also don't have much time to write letters today because I had to spend a bit of time packing up and making sure everything is prepared for Sister Nisse to take over Back Creek.
 
We went on 3 exchanges in the past week. One with the Vinton sisters, one with the Bedford 2 sisters, and one with the Salem Sisters. On these exchanges we switch companions and go to work in another area. For example, I went to Bedford 2 and worked with Sister Lichenstein and Sister Canova came to Back Creek to work with Sister Nisse. It is only 24 hours, but it is amazing to see all that is learned during these exchanges and the miracles that take place. I then report to the mission president on how these sisters are doing and what needs they might have. I try to give them new ideas for their areas on how to better find, teach, or be obedient. I learn more and more each time!
 
We also had our zone conferences this past week. Usually we split the zone into 2 groups and do the same conference for the entire zone, but this time we (the zone leaders and I) decided to split it into a sisters zone conference and an elders zone conference. I taught both groups (one on Thursday and one on Friday) about the 5 C's that might be holding us back from making our mission a "Zion-like" mission. I spoke about contention, comparing, criticizing, complacency, and being Childish. I then said that they need to replace these with charity, confidence in Christ, compliments, climbing, and being childlike. (For the elders I added on being clean verses cluttered.) ;) I also taught about how they need to make challenging, but realistic goals. I gave them the example of how Chandon when I came on the mission told me to do one push-up the first day, 2 the second, 3 the third, and so on. I realized that this goal was not realistic, so then Chandon said, "Okay, how about you do one the first week, 2 the second week, 3 the third, and so on." That is more realistic and it is challenging! I'm up to 21 push-ups and feeling good! Thank you Chandon! Also, Congrats with getting to go to the BYU game! I brag about that fact to all the elders. heehee
 
Sister Tuckett came on Sunday to say goodbye to the area by special permission of President Pitt and it was so fun to see her! Oh and a bunch of women in the ward took Sister Nisse and I out to lunch yesterday to say goodbye to me. When I come back to the mission after I return home, I've had at least 5 homes offered to me to be able to visit for a while. Truly the people in Back Creek are salt of the Earth good and they will be missed. I have loved my time here and will cherish the memories that have been made. I am excited for Sister Nisse to take it to the next level though and I know she will do a great job. She has been such an amazing companion and we have learned so much from each other! I love her! We have become such close friends! She is hilarious! I'm excited to see who my new companion is...the possibilties are endless! haha
 
Well, those were the highlights of the week. Sorry this letter is so short. I want you all to know I love you so much! I hope you have the best week ever! I pray for each of you daily and I know that the Lord is hearing and answering my prayers. This gospel is amazing and I love being a missionary! I had a dream a few nights ago that I'd gone home and was so sad! I kept on saying, "Wait, I'm not done yet! It wasn't my time!" I woke up and was so grateful that I get to be a missionary all day! It is awesome! I get to stop and help someone rake leaves anytime I want! I get to bring up the gospel all day! I get to talk to complete strangers and ask them about them! Every person should try this sometime! It is amazing! Yes it has its hard moments, but the good definitely outweighs the bad anyday! This gospel is true, I know it! I live it! I love it! If you have any aspect of your testimony that may be shaky, I invite to pray and ask God to help you in that aspect. He will strengthen you! Because he loves you! He knows you! I love you all tremendously! Talk to you from Charleston! Charleston for Thanksgiving and Christmas! Yay!
 
Love,
Sister Herring
 
Picture 1 - Sister Pearson and I on exchanges. She was in Vinton. Fun times!
Picture 2 - The most epic picture ever. That is my companion (the model redhead), Sister Myers (the blonde), and Sister Habibpour (the dark brown hair)
Picture 3 - I decided to join in the fun :)
Picture 4 - This was taken in Bedford. I immediately thought of "Merry Christmas Bedford Falls!" :)
4 Attachments
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment