Monday, February 24, 2014

Anna Herring

2:44 PM (1 hour ago)
February 24, 2014
Family!

What a beautiful week!

Sorry this truly is going to be a short email, but just know that things are sunny and wonderful here in South Charleston! Other than the random snowstorm last night, things have been great!

Here is a quick recap of the week:

Monday - We went to dinner with the Cotrells, and had a great P-Day! Love Mondays!

Tuesday - We met Donna and Keith and have started teaching both of them! Donna's sister is a member of the church and so she has recently become interested. Keith has met with missionaries before and is ready to change! (He's an interesting fella, but we hope we can help him!) He kind of reminds me of Jim Carrey on A Series of Unfortunate Events minus the evil villain part. :) Oh! And we went to go visit a cute lady and her crazy tiny dogs bit me! My whole hand went numb, but it is a good memory. :) Fun times! I'm okay, luckily they were tiny!

Wednesday - Is Walk and Talk Wednesday and so we did a lot of walking and talking! (I think of Brian Regan every time they say the phrase) haha But NO ONE was out! It was a beautiful day and no one was walking! Crazy! So we decided to pick up trash as we went and were able to hopefully help some people see some good service. We also had a dinner appointment have to cancel, so we decided to try and find a cute place to eat. One man in Rite Aid said to try his little bistro across the street. It is called the Bridge Road Bistro. Doesn't that sound quaint? Well, we decided to check it out and as soon as they seated us, we realized this was not some little place to eat, but a 5-Star Restaurant! The meals on the menu were at least $20 each!!! Yikes! We quickly went to the appetizer page as they were bringing us bread and butter shaped like flowers and found a cheap answer to our problem. We both got a cup of soup for $4 each and then split a meal. It was again a fun memory! :)

Thursday - We had the most amazing zone conference! President Pitt talked about becoming the 4th type of missionary. There was a talk given about 4 different types of missionaries and how we want to be the 4th. I will have to look up the talk to tell you who gave it, but it was awesome! Sister Pitt also talked about prayer. She said that when we pray, it is as if our Savior was praying for us. Prayer is a way to align our will with our Heavenly Father's. She is amazing and I learned so much from this meeting! The assistants also talked about connecting with people and not planning what we have to say while they are talking, but instead listening to them and praying for the Holy Ghost to help us know what to say. I've tried that this week and miracles have happened! We also got a new set of goals for 2014 which focus on obedience and getting back to the fundamentals of missionary work. Again, we've been applying all that we learned and have already seen miracles! 

Friday - We began teaching Bill and Mary Wagoner. They are a Presbyterian couple in their 70s and like to discuss the gospel with the missionaries. We might even have a lesson with their Pastor some day. Doesn't that sound exciting? Serving this mission has truly shown me how much the gospel of Jesus Christ just makes sense! It is true! We have the full gospel on the Earth today! We are so blessed! I'm learning so much each day and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm grateful I've been called to the Bible Belt. It is a blessing for me! We also did some service for a family in the ward and got to teach Mandy and Brad. We are focusing on helping Brad know that there is a God and that he does have a purpose in this life. They are preparing to be baptized on April 13th when Brad comes to know that this is the restored gospel! 

Saturday - We got to go teach Keith again with Sidney (a girl in the ward). We aren't allowed to teach in a man's home unless a woman is there, so we always bring another woman. We also got to teach Donna again and we set up some service with one of our investigators named Jesse. He is one of my favorite men! He reminds me of Mickey Rooney! So fun! He lives up in a holler and we found him one day while walking to Family Dollar. We had a miraculous day though, because on our way to each lesson, we made it a goal to pull over and talk to every person that we saw! It was a blast! Ooh! Especially the lady who thought that Sister Larrabee was my daughter...what the?! She is only 3 years younger than me! haha I had a good laugh from it though. It was a great day! Oh and we had correlation in the morning at Brother Cotrell's house with a beautiful breakfast of biscuits and gravy, sausage, and eggs. (Doesn't that sound wonderful mom?) ;) I'm so much my mother's daughter! I love Frosted Flakes and pretty much any cereal! It was a great breakfast though. 

Sunday - We got to go to church and 2 of our investigators, John and Gloria, came! John is 23 and recently got out of the army and so he is living with his 87 year old grandma, Gloria. He has such potential! He is very open to learning and knows his Bible! We are excited to see what happens there! Lisa wasn't able to come because she had her tooth pulled and her medication knocked her out until noon, so we went by to see her after church and she said that she had read her Book of Mormon and highlighted a bunch! haha She is so cute! We then went to the new member fireside at the Bishop's house that they have once a month. We have a great bishop and he tries to do as much missionary work as possible. We ended the night by visiting the Scragg family who live up in a holler. That's when the snow hit. We got home safely though and just laughed how the weather can go from 70s to 30s within hours. So weird! We love it though! I can hardly wait for spring!

Today we got to go bowling with the assistants, the zone leaders, and the district leader. It was a blast! Note: I'm a terrible bowler! I kept on having the movie "Return to Me" play in my mind when they are cheering, "68! 68! 68! ....66! 66! 66!" Oh and yes I did make friends with the cute old men in the next lane. That is my favorite thing to do! The elders just laugh that I always make friends with old men when we bowl. They said I should use it as a finding activity. haha Good times!

Well, those were the highlights! Oh funny story, a lady in our ward went to get ice cream and ran into Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner. She got a picture with them and showed it to us...Ever since then my dream is to give them a Book of Mormon and I totally dreamed about it a couple nights ago! It's going to happen, I just know it! haha 

I'm so grateful to be serving this mission! Each day it continually surprises me that I'm on a mission! I love it! I get to talk about the gospel all day! I get to serve people all day! I get to share my testimony and pray all day! Even on the hard moments, I get to be a missionary! Wow! 

Sister Larrabee and I are going to continue working our tails off. Thank you for all the prayers and support! I love each of you! I know this gospel is true! I know when we feel as if we can't take a step further and when it seems like it is time to give up, is when our Savior truly carries us. I have seen our Heavenly Father's hand in this work and I know that He is with me every step of the way. I love this gospel! I love the Book of Mormon! It is true!

Have the best week ever!

Love,

Sister Herring 

P.S. Sorry for no pictures this week! Next week for sure! Again, Happy Birthday Rhett!

No comments:

Post a Comment