Monday, February 3, 2014

February 3, 2014
Dear family!

What a glorious week! Lisa got baptized!!! It was a little stressful to get the baptism organized, but it turned out wonderful! She is one special lady and I'm so grateful to have been a part of it! This week we saw her everyday to make sure she felt completely prepared and at peace. We wanted to keep her focused and excited. She didn't need our help. She was so ready for the baptism! It was a great experience!

Other than the baptism, we did a lot of tracting (due to the better weather) and we met some very prepared people. It is usually really not the best to tract in the colder weather because people don't really want to open the door and if they do, they want it to be quick. Whenever I am not wanting to go tracting in the cold, I tell myself, "Rex is doing this in Russia! I can do this!" haha Rex you inspire me! We met one man because on our records a member lived in his home. That member doesn't live there anymore, but this man is very open to the gospel! We then found another girl who goes to a non-denominational church. We didn't think she was very interested, but after we left, she texted us and said, "Where is church and when? You were both so wonderful today and I'm grateful you knocked on my door." What the?! We were so excited! We then met another lady whose grandmother was Mormon, mother wanted to be, and she already had a Book of Mormon! She is so prepared and has been by our Heavenly Father! Although they say that tracting is not the best way to do missionary work, it is the way that Sister Kitto and I have the most success! We meet so many people, share so many amazing experiences, and have miracles happen through this. We try not to do it all the time, but when we do, we get excited. It is awesome! (Except for cold days) hahaha Keep up the good work Rex and Kortlynn!

We also got to see Mandy this week and she has been really reading the Book of Mormon and is praying about a date to baptized! She knows she needs to be baptized, but now it is up to her about when. We hope she will realize that she shouldn't wait until next June! That is way too far! 

Also, Sister Dorsey is preparing to be baptized on next Sunday! She passed her interview, and we are so excited that we get to see at least 2 baptisms together! It has been neat to see the Lord's hand in this work! We simply have been obedient and diligent in the work and now things are happening! We get to go to the Mission Leadership Council tomorrow with all the other Sister Training Leaders, the Zone Leaders, the Assistants and President Pitt. I'm so excited! I always learn so much! I will let you know how it goes!

Okay, okay...I'll tell you about the baptism already! haha Sunday morning, we stopped by Lisa's and she was already dressed! (Church doesn't start until 1, but she was ready by 10.) We gave her a pep talk and were on our way to Ward Council. We then had to wait through all of church! Lisa's daughter, Kit, came which was a miracle! It was very important to Lisa to have family there, so we were happy for that. We had an amazing Fast and Testimony meeting which I was grateful for. The spirit was very strong and everything felt right! Lisa was ready. After church was over, we went and she got into her white dress. It was beautiful! (I was in my princess skirt heehee). Oh and I just found out from the Cotrells that the princess in the movie "Frozen" is named Anna! How awesome is that?! Wow, off topic...Back to the story. :) We took our pictures, then went in and sat down. Things got a bit stressful when the ward mission leader decided to start 5 minutes early. Brother Cotrell hadn't had time to get ready! It was a bit crazy! But, as soon as the program started, everything calmed down. Sister Wunderly gave a great talk on baptism and it was then time. We walked Lisa to the font and she gave us a big hug before going in. Of course both Sister Kitto and I were crying. It went fast and the rest was a blur, but everything turned out perfect! Next Sunday she will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost in Ward Conference (where we might be getting a new bishop) and then she will be welcomed as the newest member of the church. I don't know why, but our current bishop likes baptisms to be on Sunday and then the confirmations the next week. It is not my favorite, but we are supportive. 

Well, that was my week! Awesome right? The water is still on a boil warning. Meaning we aren't allowed to drink it unless we boil it, but I don't mind that. We just use water bottles. It is snowing right now and has been all morning, but that is okay too! Life is good! Missionary work is amazing and I love every day! I love this gospel and I'm so grateful I'm serving in the best mission in the world! I hope you all know how much I love each of you! I again am praying for you daily. I hope all goes well this week with what each of you is having to do. Stay warm! (I know it's hard in Arizona and Nevada haha) 

Funny story for the week: Sister Kitto and I have begun talking to each other in our sleep! A lot! We wake each other up and it is awesome! haha Last night I woke up to hear Sister Kitto say, "Wow! When you do what God asks, your whole family is affected! He is so proud of you!" I giggled knowing she was probably teaching Lisa. What a great companion I have! haha It makes me feel better when I begin talking. One night she told me to grab the phone and as she woke up, she asked me what I was doing, I then woke up and realized we'd both been sleeping! Oh and one night I woke up at 3 a.m. thinking it was 6:30 and flipped on the light. I quickly realized my mistake and jumped back into bed. Good times! 

I love this work! I love my mission president and his sweet wife. I love this gospel more and more each day! This is my time with my Heavenly Father and I'm enjoying every minute of it!

Have the best day ever!
Love,
Sister Herring

P.S. Today marks 7 months on the mission haha or we call it our "click" day. I don't know where that came from, mission lingo I guess. I think I'm going to get an oreo shake from Chick-Fil-A for that! haha Fun times! 

No comments:

Post a Comment