Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Hello my fantastic family!

You sure do look great! :) Are you ready to hear about transfers?! Drum roll please.............I'm being transferred! After 7 and a half beautiful months in Charleston, I'm being transferred! I'm now heading south! I'm going to be serving with another sister who came out with me in Lexington, Virginia! Woohoo! President Pitt called us yesterday and said that I was needed to help the sisters in the South! I'm flattered! I still don't feel like I know what I'm doing, but I know with Heavenly Father's help I can do this! I get to serve with Sister Wahlin! Yay! She is an amazing missionary and I feel so blessed to have served with the best missionaries in the mission! The neat part is, I will still get to come once a month to MLC (mission leader council) and see my old area and companions! Sister Kitto got called to be a Sister Training Leader again too! So I will be seeing Sister Snow and Kitto each month! I love my life! Another fun part about being transferred is there is an elder that has been in the same zone as me from the start of my mission. His name is Elder Hansen. He was my first zone leader, then when I got transferred, he became an Assistant, and now he is the zone leader of the same zone as me! It is fun to have a familiar face everywhere you go! He is a great missionary and all of us are coming in to help this area become the best in the mission! haha or at least try! :) We all leave tomorrow morning and I drive for about 4 hours to the south part of the mission and get to get to work there! I'm so excited! I'm going to miss Charleston, but I know it is time for a change. This area needs new ideas and methods for finding and teaching.

This week has been exciting! We realized that our investigators weren't progressing because we weren't pushing them to progress. We weren't helping them set a goal of baptism to help them have a goal to work towards. Monday morning we decided to make a date for baptism a goal for each investigator (or at least those who were progressing). We went Monday night to see a man named Martin. He is an amazing man! We taught him about the restoration of the gospel while the rain was pouring on his tin roof (it was a bit noisy), but towards the end, the rain began to subside and we were able to have a spiritual lesson and he is going to work to be baptized on August 3rd. He said, "I grew up Baptist, and I've done all the research I could, which didn't last long, then I started researching Catholicism and I didn't want to go farther in that, but everything I've heard about the Mormon belief feels and sounds right!" Hallelujah! I was so happy! He's been researching on his own and he says he can tell the difference between the anti- and the truth. He is going to ride his super-fast motorcycle to church next week! Sweet! He is such an awesome 70 year old man! :) 

We then went to teach a few less-active people later in the week and one of our former investigators came out and wanted us to stop by. She had dropped us a couple months back because she didn't feel like she needed to quit smoking or drinking coffee. Well, she said that she had been praying and Heavenly Father told her that she needed to go back to where He had led her in the first place. She says she knows that she can give up those substances by July 4th and wants to be baptized on the 20th of July! Whoa! We weren't planning on this, but it was exciting!

We then went to teach a part-member family where the wife has been praying her husband would make it to church. We've been teaching them the past couple weeks and the husband said he wants to come to church! We then invited him to be baptized and he said that he would work towards August 10th to be baptized! He really wants to make these steps and set the example for his son! Wow! The wife was tearing up and she said she knew this would happen someday.

Miracles are happening! We told Heavenly Father that we wanted to help our investigators progress, and He helped them in ways we didn't know were possible! I truly do nothing in this mission! All I do is strive to be obedient, which helps me increase my faith that Heavenly Father will help, and go out and talk to everyone! He puts prepared people in our path! I know there are rough moments, we've had plenty of those! Those moments when you wonder if you are even making a difference, but then you have a tender mercy or a small miracle and then those difficult moments seem less daunting. 

For example, last night as we were laying in bed, we started talking about one of our investigators who was struggling a bit, and then we looked up and saw a flash of light on our ceiling! What the?! It flashed a few times and then we realized, there was a lightning bug in our room! Or as you might know it, a firefly!!! These are one of my favorite things about West Virginia! Sister Snow and I popped out of bed and grabbed some Tupperware to catch the surprise guest! We were so excited! Only in West Virginia would you have a lightning bug fly into your room! It was truly a tender mercy!

Another tender mercy came from a sweet member whose daughter sells the "Origami Owl" jewelry. I told her I loved her bracelet and so she bought me one! Holy cow! It is beautiful! She told me she would buy me one if I paid for the little trinkets that go inside, so I bought 3 trinkets and she bought me a bracelet! So nice! I'll attach a picture.

Funny story. This week I did something to me foot. (Wow! I guess I'm Irish! haha) I have no idea what happened but it was a bit swollen above the toe. It was hilarious! My foot looked like a baby's foot! It is better now, just a little tender. I was a bit worried it was a stress fracture, but it is healing. :) I was still able to walk so I knew it was going to be okay.

Other than that, this week has been great! Again I'm sad to be leaving this wonderful area, but I'm excited to head to Lexington and to learn from Sister Wahlin! I will post my address next week!

I love you all so much! I hope all you men had fantastic Father's Days! You deserve it! Chandon! You are going to love Washington, D.C. I'll be the closest family member to you! heehee Be jealous!

I want you to know that I have a testimony of this gospel. I love serving the Lord and sharing the gospel with each person. I love the people of West Virginia. They are the most Christlike people and truly want to do what is right! I admire my fellow missionaries in Russia and Japan. I don't know how you do it, but I know you can with the help of our Heavenly Father! Our Savior has experienced EVERYTHING which means we can know that He understands how we feel and that He will help us overcome all things! As we rely on Him, He can give us strength and support throughout each day.

I know the restored gospel is on the Earth today and that the power of God is on the earth today. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the Lord's only true church on the earth! I know the Book of Mormon is true! I know prayers are answered! Share the gospel! Everyone needs this hopeful and truthful message! Our family is eternal! :)

Have the best week of your life!

Love,
Sister Herring

Picture 1 - The one on the right was not swollen :)
Picture 2 - Isn't it beautiful? I bought a CTR symbol, a pineapple (which means frienship), and a Sister trinket. I love it!
Picture 3 - We caught our lightning bug! We may or may not have named her, Evangeline! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment