Monday, June 30, 2014

June 30, 2014

Holy Moly!

My family all decided to write me on the same week! I love it! I got a letter from just about each sibling! That has never happened my entire mission! I'm not looking for pity, just wanting you to know it made my day! You all sound wonderful and due to time, I won't be able to write lengthy letters to each of you, but I will write a little something. ;) 

So this week has been interesting! Mary wasn't able to get baptized yesterday because she got a virus which they think is pneumonia. She is actually really sick, but she still plans on being baptized as soon as she is well. Stinkin' satan! Mary is very ready to be baptized though and we are excited for her. 

We've been working on finding this week and we had a couple great experiences with this effort. We had a referral from a member for a lady in a wheelchair and when we went to contact her, she said she wants to take it slow but is interested in attending church soon. We are going to follow-up and hopefully begin teaching her. We decided to stay and work in her area though for a little bit and while we were there we knocked on the door of a man named Sunil. He asked us for a Book of Mormon and said that he was very interested in attending with his wife and daughter! We are going back on Saturday to begin teaching him and his family. We are excited! We also knocked on the door to a man named Keith. He is in his 20s and currently considers himself non-denominational. The neatest part was, when we began sharing our message with him he said, "I just finished reading a book about the religious history of Abraham Lincoln and I know it is not coincidence that you knocked on my door today." It was so neat! He wants to talk to his wife about meeting, but said we could come back on Saturday and they should be home. He lives 3 doors down from Sunil! We are so excited! 

Other than that, this area is a bit different than Charleston. People are very set in their religious beliefs and have heard a bunch of anti-. It is frustrating at times, but it just makes it that much more rewarding when you find someone with a soft heart! There are prepared people out there! We just have to find them! I know with the help of our Heavenly Father, we can do this! It may require a little more effort, but it is worth it! I told Sister Wahlin that the people here must be so elect that satan felt he should really work on getting them away from the church. Good thing our team is stronger! :) I am so grateful for the strength I receive daily from prayers, and all the support! I know I could not do this without my Heavenly Father, my Savior, and each of you! I love feeling the spirit every day and being able to rely on that to know what to do and say.

On Friday, we drove to Lynchburg to do a mini-exchange with the 2 sets of sisters there. We went with one set in the morning and the other in the evening. We were grateful we did it. It helped us know what goals to set for our sisters and how to help them this transfer. I love this opportunity to serve the sisters here because it helps me grow more than I would on my own. I know it is for me that I am serving here and around these sisters. I learn so much from each of them! 

Let me share a little more about this area. We have lightning bugs, people riding around in carriages, Magnolia trees with gorgeous white flowers, a million bed-and-breakfast inns, lilies, and so many other beautiful things. I love it! One neat thing I'm not sure I mentioned last week is that the church does a weekly church tour every Wednesday night. I got to go this week and it was wonderful! It answered many questions and the spirit was felt throughout. Bishop Huntsman is a great man and very inspired. 

Thursday was Sister Wahlin's 20th birthday! We went and got some ice cream from the local ice cream shop during lunch. It was so much fun! We then had cake at our dinner appointment and we were pretty stuffed by the end of the night. 

On Saturday mornings we work at a place called RARA which is a food bank. We get to help those in need get food and the cute little old man who works there always saves us some treats. He is hilarious! He is catholic and told us to stay away from catholics. Our response is: "We just baptized 5!" haha He is funny. Saturday night we always eat at the Hendersons. They were both baptized in December and are amazing! They are planning on being sealed this December. The hard thing is, the wife has terminal cancer and so she is going to chemo every 2 months and her goal is to make it to the temple. They are both so excited! They made a Chinese dinner for us and she always goes all out for us! They are wonderful! 

There are the highlights for the week! I'm excited to meet President Salisbury tomorrow at MLC. We are waking up at 3 then driving to Roanoke to meet up with the sisters there, then we drive to Charleston. I'm so excited! It will be a great experience to be at the first MLC with the new mission president. He is on fire and ready to go! So are we!

I want you all to know that I love you so much! I'm so grateful to be serving right now and for each experience. I love the hard moments just as much as the good! I love growing! I love learning! I know this time is short, but I'm so grateful that I had the chance to serve. Chandon, Rex, and Kortlynn keep up the great work! You are all great examples to me! Thank you for all the prayers, letters, and support! Keep on being amazing! 

Mom, thank you for the package with pictures! They are perfect! The yard looks great! Good job dad! Speaking of dad, this week you're turning 47 right? heehee Look for a fun surprise in the mail. I found it and couldn't resist. Happy Birthday!!! Hope it is as wonderful as you are!

Again, I love you all! Keep on strengthening your testimony daily. You will be surprised at what you can do when you have the spirit more in your life and the confidence you feel when you know how much your Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love and know you! The Atonement is real. This gospel is true! The priesthood is the power of God on the earth! I'm so grateful for it! Oh and crazy, I'm hitting my year mark this week. Yikes!

Love,
Sister Herring

P.S. Prepare for pictures! :)

Picture 1 - Leaving transfers. That is the white van I got to ride down in! 
Picture 2 - Saying goodbye to Sister Pitt! I love these women!



No comments:

Post a Comment