Monday, June 9, 2014

My wonderful family!

Just in case you didn't know, this church is true! I can't express how amazing the past week has been! Truly! First of all, Frankie is going to be baptized! More importantly, she doesn't have to wait a year!!! I'll explain. :)

Monday started off slow, simply looking for new people. We were bound and determined to have a better week. :)

Tuesday, we were able to teach this cute 83 year old named Corrinne. She seems 60. She is spunky and loves us! She didn't believe in Christ or any life after death when we first met her, but we had a faith-building experience with her and she is beginning to come around! She had been trying to get a man to come move a fallen-tree out of her yard for weeks and during the opening prayer, I prayed that he would come. As soon as I said, "Amen" he pulled up outside. She was in shock! What was even better was, she told us to come back after he left, so we decided to go work in her neighborhood for a bit and as we walked outside, there was a mother with 2 kids who had a flat tire. We immediately went to help her and she seemed a bit stressed. We were able to help her (thank you dad for teaching me how to change a tire), and we found a member on the street who was able to help drive her to her next appointment. She was so grateful and we are going to try to follow-up with her this week. We then had a great lesson with Corrinne and then Jane. Jane has taken the lessons before, but is more determined this time. We then drove to a lesson near where Frankie's daughter lives and decided after the lesson to go try and find Hattie (Frankie's daughter). After 2 and a half hours of knocking on doors and trying to find her we finally had success! It was worth the wait! She walked out the door, gave us a hug, and said that she had had a rough week. She said it was an accident that her husband had hung up on us (he thought we were telemarketers). We gave her the notes from the sisters in the Relief Society and she expressed how much her mother loved our church. We explained a little on temple work and she gladly signed the paper! She gave us her permission! Then, she invited us to her house and allowed us to share some scriptures from the Book of Mormon. She said we could come back anytime! She loves us! Prayers truly are answered! We gave her our phone number and told her to call us if she needed help with anything. 

On Wednesday, we got a call from Hattie asking for help to move her mother's things out of the apartment. We gladly went and she called us her "guardian angels". She is such a sweet lady! I love her! She also said that the scriptures we shared really helped her! Yay! I know Frankie is involved in this work. We then had a couple other lessons and were welcomed home by a massive rain storm! I mean we were soaked! Wow!

Thursday, Sister Snow and I had the great opportunity to teach a portion of the specialized training. This meeting was extremely helpful! Really long, but amazing! It was our last one with President Pitt. :( But I am excited to meet the new mission president. The meeting started with President Pitt introducing the theme, then we taught about planning, the assistants taught about how to begin lessons, president pitt then taught about the lesson portion, and the zone leaders taught about commitments and following up. They showed us start to finish what was necessary. We then ended the meeting with a testimony meeting. Wow! Talk about feeling the spirit! I love being on a mission! We also told President Pitt that we got permission and so he began calling Salt Lake to find out the information on what should be done about Frankie.

After the specialized training, we went on exchange with the Ripley sisters. I went with Sister Larrabee (my old companion) and Sister Snow went with Sister Freeland (her old companion). It was a neat exchange. We found 2 new investigators, had a few spirit-filled lessons and I've decided my legacy I want to leave behind. :) One of my favorite things to do is to pull the car over to talk to people who may be on the side of the road and to invite them to learn about the gospel. It is rather exciting! Obviously we do it when there are no cars behind us. It always is an adventure and I figure we are already awkward missionaries, might as well enjoy it! :) Well, while I was in Ripley we pulled over 2 times to invite someone to learn and both said that they would be interested in learning more! Both had had connections with the church in the past and were willing to learn! So neat! I love it! Best drive by ever! :) How many times have you ever been stopped on the street and told a message about the restored gospel? I'm sure never, right? Maybe you will be lucky enough someday. heehee

On Friday we exchanged back and it turned out to be another wonderful day! I got a letter in the mail from someone I had invited to learn in Bedford when I'd been there on a day exchange. She told me that although right now she was not able to take the lessons, that she appreciated me talking to her in the library that day and for the sisters who began teaching her. Holy cow! I met this woman about 9 months ago! All I did was ask her if I could show her a video in the library and she said that she needed that. The missionaries began teaching her and she was on date for June 4th, but was unable to make that date due to her father's health. It sounds like she would continue learning in the future. I know she will! You never know what one encounter in the church will do to someone's interest. We taught a few lessons on Friday and the spirit was so strong! We ended the night by seeing Sarah. She usually is not very focused during the lessons, but Friday night she had her highlighter and pen out taking notes! She is beginning to see how this gospel will bless her life! It was neat to see the growth in her testimony.

Saturday was an interesting day. We had a couple lessons planned and one of them ended up getting some anti- information and said that was an answer to his prayer. Yuck! It made me want to cuss! But of course I don't do that! :) Stinkin' satan! We talked to him and he is still going to read more from the Book of Mormon. Of course any of the anti-information is always a complete joke! He tried to tell us and I almost laughed out loud that he was willing to believe the information he found rather than what we were teaching him (which is the truth!). We then came home for lunch and a cool down and as we walked outside this Muslim man decided he wanted to bash. We try to avoid these situations as much as possible and very lovingly bore our testimonies. After an hour, peace was restored and we were on our way! Oooh...I also got a nice sunburn on my neck, I'll send pictures. :) We then contacted a few referrals but ultimately decided to go contact that mother that had the flat tire from earlier in the week. She wasn't home, but her neighbors were and this cute couple are very interested in learning! They had met missionaries in the past and the wife said, "I was just about to read the Book of Mormon again." Huh? That was the best thing to hear ever! No bashing, no anti-, simply seeking truth! I love them! They are the cutest older couple and we will be seeing them this week! 

Sunday we drove with Lisa to church! :) Yay! We then had a wonderful meeting and after church the ward had a potluck and musical fireside. Both were great! We ended the day by trying to contact a potential investigator named Martin. He has met missionaries before but after researching on his own, he has become extremely interested in the church! He is going to try to come this Sunday. Dad, you'd like him. He's got the world's fastest model of motor bike and he owns 25 guns. Very cool guy! Oh did I mention, he's in his 70s? :) I already love him! It was a great lesson on his back porch as the lightning bugs were going crazy! I love evenings! 

Now are you ready for the verdict on what's happening with Frankie? President Pitt called Salt Lake and because Frankie had already been baptized, and we have permission, we won't need to wait a year! As soon as we get the information to Salt Lake, her work can be done! The best part of the news is they said that one of our families can do the work! Because I had worked with Frankie the most, Sister Snow said my family could do it! You know what that means? You get to help me do my missionary work! We still have to get through all the hoops, but Mom! Will you be the one to do Frankie's baptism and confirmation? :) It would mean the world to me! You get to be a missionary from home! ;) 

Now isn't that neat? Never thought this would happen on my mission, but I'm grateful for this amazing opportunity. We are talking once in a lifetime! 

Well, that was my week! Other than, this morning, Sister Snow's grandparents (who live in Buena Vista) came up and took us out to lunch at Olive Garden! Her grandpa is best friends with Elder Holland and used to be a mission president. It was a neat lunch. We even ran into President Pitt!

I want you to know how much my testimony of the restored gospel has grown throughout the past few months. I'm so grateful for the atonement. I know that my Savior lives. I know that through the atonement, we can overcome all things. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and that we have a prophet on the earth today! I know that prayers are answered. I love being a missionary and sharing this gospel with each person! 

Thank you for each of your examples to me. I love you all tremendously! 

Chandon! You are going to rock the MTC and DC! :) Be obedient, love the people and the work, and go forth with faith! Love you! Can't wait to read your emails! ;)

Dad, Happy Father's Day! Thank you for all you've taught me! I wouldn't be who I am today without you!

Rhett, Jared, Adam, and Lane! Thank you for loving my sisters. Thank you for being the best brothers-in-law in the world and for all you do each day! Thank you for honoring your priesthood!

Mike and Matt! Thank you for being great fathers, worthy priesthood holders, and just simply amazing men!

I love you all!

Love,
Sister Herring

P.S. Transfers are next week :( So I won't be emailing until Tuesday.

Picture 1 - Yup, an hour long conversation turned into this lovely mark.
Picture 2 - My cute companion with her grandparents.




No comments:

Post a Comment