Monday, June 23, 2014

Wow! It sounds like our family is busy!!!
Before I begin, I have a question for the Welch's. What the heck is Mason doing in Peru?! When did that happen?! Dad wrote a paragraph about Mason heading to Peru to build schools? I need information! Also, Brigham is going to Nauvoo?! I have a companion who is serving there! Tell him to look for a Sister Searle! She is awesome! :) She was only in our mission for a couple months but is back in Nauvoo. And Happy Anniversary Bridget and Jared! :)
I'm so glad that everyone is keeping busy this summer! It sounds like you are all having a blast! I'm now in Lexington, VA and loving it! Holy cow! I feel like I have found heaven!
On Wednesday, I went to the transfers meeting to see President Pitt and Sister Pitt for the last time. The new mission president will be here by the end of the week. Crazy! I was chosen to bare my testimony to the missionaries about the experience with Frankie. I was a bit surprised they asked me, but they told me to make it positive. :) I hope it went well. We then got into the vans and began our drive down south. I am good friends with one of the van drivers so he allowed me to have shotgun! It was a fun drive! The other van broke down on the way and so we ended up being an hour behind schedule, but we made it! I got to drive down with Sister Kitto, Combs, and Elders Hansen and Stechnij! It was a blast! These missionaries are some of my favorites and I look forward to the fact that I will get to see them at meetings. Elder Stechnij is from Gilbert! So fun! We made our way south and at about 8 pm, I drove into Lexington. Our church building looks just like one in Gilbert, Arizona. I walked up and felt like I was out West! Crazy! It is gorgeous and only 2 minutes from our home. We live in a member's basement. Ooh our new address is:
17 Link Road (Basement)
Lexington, VA 24450
It is smaller than my last apartment, but cute! Sister Wahlin (pronounced Wahl-een) is awesome! I keep on waiting to get a hard companion, but I've been blessed with the best! I've wanted to serve with her since we were in the MTC and now I get to! I feel so blessed! Maybe I'm the hard companion. haha Sister Wahlin is from Riverton, UT and is almost 20! This week! She is a hard worker and very excited about the work. She reminds me of Hannah Platt! :) So fun!
I'm so excited to be serving here! There is so much history! We live 5 seconds away from the graveyard where Stonewall Jackson is buried, about 15 minutes away from Natural Bridge, and there is a home here where one of the members live that Robert E. Lee always stayed in. They are gorgeous! Wrap-around porches, huge yards, deer, lightning bugs, and spacious fields of green! I have taken many pictures which I will attach.
Now for the fun part! We have a baptism coming up this Saturday! They have been teaching her and she had her interview and will be baptized! Her name is Mary Southers. She has such a strong testimony and is a sweetheart. She bore her testimony to us and the spirit was so strong. Our district leader said he pictures her being the Matron of a temple. Just a good person! Speaking of district leader, my new district leader is Garrett Hollembeak! He is amazing! I couldn't have picked a better one! Tell Brother Hollembeak that he should be proud of his son. Sister Wahlin and I are amazed by his insights and his caring nature. He is helping us be the best missionaries and is such a hard worker. Truly this mission is blessed to have him. We've decided he will be an apostle or general authority someday. Good guy!
We are also teaching a few other people who are progressing towards baptism. Great people! As I get to know them more, I will write you more, but for now just know life is good!

This area is a lot different from my last area. This is a smaller town, has had missionaries many years, and is so close to SVU so they all think this is part of our curriculum. I'm not going to SVU!!! :) But, we just have to find new ways of finding. This may sound weird, but I feel like I was meant to come here! Each person I meet reminds me of someone from home, or I feel like I've met them before! It is odd! I love it! I feel like I'm home! It has rained everyday since I've been here, and my hair is getting bigger and bigger, but I love it! Oh and let's just say, I think the norm is 100% humidity. Wow! We felt it our first day as we raked up hay for a member in the ward. :)
Fun story: We went up to this little house in the mountains to teach a lesson and the little girl was handing me what I thought was a fake lizard, until it moved in my hand! Good thing I can handle lizards! I then got to hold a pet rat at another home! I love the wildlife here! It is everywhere!

Goodness I'm excited for this transfer. I'm excited for the adventures, the experiences, and for all I still get to learn. Sister Wahlin and I are going to work our hardest and try to help this mission become its best. We want President Salisbury to know he's coming to the best mission in the world! (Sorry Kortlynn, Chandon, and Rex) :) I can't wait to meet him! I'm going to miss President Pitt terribly, but I look forward to seeing him again someday! He said he will be in Gilbert visiting his family, and I might be able to see him there. He is a great man and has left his mark on this mission. I will be forever grateful to have served with him and his sweet wife in this mission.
I want you all to know that I have a testimony of the Atonement. I know that our Savior truly did die for each of us and not only that, but He also suffered each pain, temptation, and trial. He understands exactly how we feel and is the only one that can help us overcome our struggles. He knows how to help and as we turn to Him, we will find relief! I know this is His church! I know that this is the only true church on the earth today. I know that through priesthood ordinances we can live with our Heavenly Father again. I'm so grateful for the power of the priesthood and for worthy priesthood holders who fulfill their responsibilities and duties in the church. I know we have a prophet on the earth today! We are truly blessed to live during this day!
I hope you have the most wonderful week! Remember someone in Virginia loves you! :) Keep up the good work and enjoy the beautiful summer! Offer to go to lessons with the missionaries, feed them, pray for them! ;) They will be forever grateful for you and so will your Heavenly Father!

Love,
Sister Herring
Picture 1 - Sister Wahlin and I!
Picture 2 - An old church house in the middle of the mountains (this was where the original saints met)
Ahh! I left my camera in the car! I will send a bunch of pictures next week! These were from Sister Wahlin's camera. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment