Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Good morning!

What a week! I love being busy, but wow! I hope everyone is safe, happy, and healthy!

We started off Monday last week by finding a family with 4 boys! We've been working on building the scouting program in the ward and last Monday evening, we went to an appointment which fell through, so we stopped by another investigator's house and had a great lesson with her and her 7 year old grandson (who acts like he's 17). It was great! We then started walking to our car and as we were walking by this house, the dad waved to us and asked us how we were doing. Of course we jumped on this opportunity and after a compliment to his wife on her cute purple dress, we began talking about the gospel. The husband started off by saying, "Good thing you aren't Mormons!" haha We let him know who we were and immediately he said, "I've never talked to a Mormon before." He then proceeded with a million questions. After we tried to answer a few, he realized that he'd been taught false ideas his entire life and his wife realized it too! Daniel, the dad, grew up Pentecostal and the wife, Kasey, grew up Baptist. They both are not active at the moment and are looking for a church to take their kids to. Their 4 boys are boy scout age and we are so excited to go teach them tonight! Daniel asked us for a Book of Mormon and was so excited to learn more! Miracles! We'd walked down this street a 1000 times before, and they must never have been home! It just wasn't the right time! Heavenly Father truly is in the details! Wow!

On Tuesday we were able to do some Mormon.org time before heading to a teaching appointment with a member. She wanted us to come with her for visiting teaching to a very less-active lady, so that we could meet her. She is the cutest black lady ever! Love her! We then tried to see a few people before doing some tracting. We then went and saw a few other inactive members before heading to dinner at the Clark's home. They are a great family who remind me of the Mullenaux's. So fun! We ended the night by seeing Mary and she is still progressing very well.

Wednesday, we started off with some tracting but then received a text from a former investigator saying that she was wanting to meet. We met her at the church and she still has many questions, but wants to continue learning. Great! We then went and worked on restoring the Paxton House before heading to find some inactive members. The bishop has had us working through the ward list trying to clean up names. We next went to dinner at the Scottens. They are a funny couple, but after dinner we were pulling out of their driveway when their neighbor came out. We talked to her for a bit and she said we could come back! Wonderful! We ended the night at the church tour and then I was able to do some family history! Love it! 

Thursday: Weekly planning! Fun times! We then went and saw Lilian for a bit before heading to see a few other people. We finally made contact with a less-active family who wants to come back to church and also have us teach their 7 year old to prepare him for baptism! Yay! After this we were walking down the street and met this man in a wheelchair named Richard. He's heard some crazy things about Mormons but would like to know the truth. That is one good thing that comes from anti-. I can't believe that people believe some of the things they hear. Crazy! We ended the night by visiting a lady named Mandy. She hasn't been to church since her teens, and said we could stop by anytime! We hope to help her understand the gospel more.

Friday - We went to District Leader Council before going on an exchange with the Rockbridge Sisters. They are doing amazing! It was a blast! I stayed in Lexington with Sister Nielsen. She is from Northern Utah in a town near Logan. We first got to see Mary and do some Personal Progress with her before running into David Early. He is going to be leaving in 2 weeks to go play pro-ball for North Carolina. He and his brother Jeff are trying to eventually make it into the NBA, so keep yours eyes out for them! :) We then went and did some service at this assisted living home. There were 6 women there and I played the piano while we sang hymns for them. The cutest part was when two of them got up and started dancing during "Count Your Many Blessings". So cute! They acted as if we were the best thing they'd ever heard, although I know it was probably just lack of hearing aides. They were adorable though and I can't wait to go back someday to help out again! I couldn't believe I was actually able to play the piano and sing at the same time! So cool! We then stopped by Kirby's house and she said that she's been studying a little about the church since she met us and can't wait to meet with us and ask us some questions. She is the cutest little lady ever! She is going to make us a "home-cooked meal where we can kick our feet up" as she says. :) Amazing! We then had dinner at Kenny's (one of my favorite places here which is free for missionaries) and then we stopped by Rob's house. He was a bit intoxicated when we got there, so we didn't stay long, but he expressed to us how he was wanting to change! He hates where he is right now and is looking for help. We are here! Yay! The gospel changes lives! We ended the night by seeing our cute Jehovah Witness friend (she is a very southern black lady), and a few other great potentials. 

Saturday - We went to our district meeting before heading to the food pantry. Bob is back! He is one of my favorite people in Lexington. I sure love him! He is in his 70s and when he saw us, he tried to give us each a huge hug, but we told him, give us a few months and we would. haha We then went and passed out invites for the ward party before heading to the ward party at the park. It turned out to be a blast! We had games, food, and people! Willie and Karen even came! They are the ones whose house burned down. It was a great event. I will attach pictures. (Oh and I totally won the doughnut on a string contest. Against the children) haha Good times! We then went tracting for the remainder of the night because we were just about out of miles. :)

Sunday - Church was wonderful as always. We were able to teach one of the primary classes and it went well! I enjoy teaching. :) We then tried to see a few people before heading to Linda's. She is the cute lady with the 7 year old grandson. We see a lot of potential in her and hope to help her make it to church soon. We then were able to see Peggy Sheek. She makes me giggle. I love her to death! There are so many amazing people in this area! 

Now for a funny story. Sunday morning we woke up and my eye was a bit swollen. It was just enough to be annoying. Well, Monday morning, I woke up at 2:30 am and walked into the bathroom to see my entire eyelid was pink and swollen, up to the eyebrow! It hurt so bad! It wasn't itchy at all, but just completely swollen! I determined right then that I could either cry, or laugh hysterically about the situation, so I decided it would be better to laugh. (It did look pretty funny.) I then tried to sleep until the alarm went off at 6:20. I turned over to Sister Wahlin and told her something was wrong. We then walked to the bathroom and she gave a little scream. Ya, I was pretty scary haha We then called the mission nurse and she was worried it was pink eye. I didn't think it was because I've had pink eye before and this was a lot different. It wasn't itchy at all, just painful! The mission doctor then called and asked for the symptoms. He determined it was a sty. He told me to watch it and over a bit the swelling would go down. Monday was Labor Day and Sister Wahlin and I were not able to Labor. We turned on a few movies and I just listened. My eye hurt so bad! I know I'm being a baby, but wow! I laughed through it all though! :) It made it hurt a lot less. :) We weren't able to go out because during dinner with the landlord, I tried to see if I could make it out and the entire time my eye was running, and I couldn't really see. We didn't want to scare anyone and so we decided to take it easy. 

Tuesday: We were able to go to MLC! We woke up at 3 and drove to Charleston. The good news...my eye is just about healed! I received a blessing Monday night and it truly made a huge difference! The eye is still swollen, but it doesn't hurt as bad, and the swelling is now only on one corner. Thank goodness! I looked a bit strange that's for sure! MLC was wonderful. I love President and Sister Salisbury! We then drove home and got to eat dinner at Applebee's! 

Today we are going on exchanges with the Lynchburg sisters. I get to go to Lynchburg to work with Sister Christensen! It should be a blast. Sister Wahlin and Sister Lopp will get to teach the family tonight. So lucky! :) 

Sister Wahlin's grandpa passed away on Thursday which has been hard, but she is handling it well. She cried for about 30 minutes after she found out, but then turned to me and said, "I can either have teary-eyes here, or outside, let's go!" Wow! Truly a phenomenal missionary. She is such a great example to me. She keeps on telling me that my eye was a blessing for her, because she needed to stay in Monday night. What a sweetheart! 

That is our crazy week! I can't believe how fast time is flying! Today is my 14 month mark! Whoa! Transfers are next week and so we won't be emailing until next Wednesday. :( I'm pretty sure Sister Wahlin will be transferred which is sad, but I'm excited for her to experience another area. She's been here since April.

We had apartment inspections this morning which was nice. They said we had the cleanest apartment they'd seen! Wow! We also think they will probably be moving us soon. :( We love our apartment, but it is a basement and is very musty. They are most likely going to begin looking for a new place for us to move, but until then, we will continue to love our little home. It is sure cute. :) 

I want all of you to know that I love you so much! I love this gospel and being a missionary! I love being able to talk to each person and see them as a child of God with a divine purpose and plan. Our Heavenly Father loves them and wants them to know the truth. He is helping us in this work and I feel support from both sides of the veil. I know this work is truly being hastened! I love being a part of it! I am grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I know the scriptures are true! 

Have the best week ever! Sorry I wasn't able to respond to each email! I will next Wednesday!

Love,
Sister Herring

Picture 1 - We found it! Sesame Street!
Picture 2- Future home? haha jk



No comments:

Post a Comment