Thursday, October 23, 2014

My wonderful and amazing family!!!

Yup, that's what you are!!! How are you?! I hope this email finds you safe, healthy, and happy! This week has been exciting!!! Sadly, I don't have my planner with me, so my details won't be nearly as good! :) 

Tammy!!! Happy Birthday!!! Thank you for being such a fantastic sister-in-law! You are wonderful! Let me know how the Broadway play goes! Which one do you get to see? 

We had miracles happen each day and it was so neat to see the steps those we are teaching are taking to come closer to God. Maybe, because I'm a slacker in knowing what happened each day, I'll write this week about the people. Ooh this will be fun!

First off, Randy. He is 58 and just a sweetie. Very backwoods, but super kind and wanting to get baptized. We saw him a few times and taught him about the Plan of Salvation and also the Word of Wisdom. We are meeting with him tonight to help him begin the stop-chewing program. Can I just say how grateful I am for the Word of Wisdom. I've seen so many people with massive addictions out here and it makes me grateful for the knowledge I have of the importance of a body and how to take care of it! I've seen so many lives on the mission that have been ruined due to drugs, alcohol, and other addictions. Just never start! That way you have way more freedom and families are blessed! The wonderful thing is the Atonement is real and just like these people falling into traps of addiction, the Savior has put in a ladder. It may not be easy to climb out, but it is possible! And Randy is doing it!

Next, Elizabeth is 23. She grew up Baptist and has heard every form of anti- imaginable. She is searching for truth though and we met with her this last week at the Clubb's home and taught her about temples. She is intrigued by them and loves learning! She loves the pamphlets and manuals and studies the scriptures daily. I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but she bought her own leather-bound triple combination and also fasted before coming to conference! (We hadn't even taught her fasting!) She is simply amazing! We taught her about the law of chastity and she is going to talk to her boyfriend about getting married. She is awesome! She even recognizes that God has prepared her for this time to accept the gospel. I love it!

Linda. She is in her 60s and is hilarious! She used to be a race car driver and is at a point in her life where she is looking for more. Her son struggles with major addictions and she feels that she is at her whits end. She told us yesterday that she is ready to make changes in her life and is looking for more! We invited her to be baptized and she accepted! She is ready! I love her! It was so neat because we didn't plan on teaching yesterday, but stopped by and she welcomed us in. We didn't have a lesson plan, but I kept on feeling the prompting to teach about the Holy Ghost. We began teaching and that is when she said, "I'm ready for more in my life." Ahh! Yay! 

One neat experience from last week is when we went to teach Miranda and her 3 oldest kids (she has 5) were begging us for a copy of the Book of Mormon. We are going back this week to teach them! Yay! A Family! Miranda's 11 year old, Hannah, began flipping through the Book of Mormon and screamed out..."I found Jesus!" hahaha It was priceless.

We also began teaching Pattie who is 60 and used to be in a motorcycle gang. :) She was being taught by other sisters in Buena Vista, but she recently moved to our area. Her daughter joined the church and now we are teaching her. She is a funny lady. 

We had another miracle when we received a text from a former investigator named Brittany who is 21. She grew up Atheist, but wants to believe in God. She went to church on Sunday and loved it, but we are meeting with her today and hopefully going to help her continue to develop that faith. She is on the right track!

We also had a few lessons with Gloria, Robyn, and a few others, but those are the ones we are most excited for at the moment. Great things are happening! The work is being hastened and we get to be a part of it! Yay! 

Funny story for the week: We went out walking the other day and of course it began pouring rain, but we met this cute couple bringing in groceries and they invited us to come to their church, the Cowboy church, with them! Can you imagine....a cowboy church? They said the preacher wears a cowboy hat, jeans, and boots! We are pretty excited to attend someday and to teach this couple the truth. :) 

My testimony has grown so much over the past 16 months and I'm looking forward to all I still get to learn!!! This truly is the Lord's work! I know the Atonement is real and I know that the Priesthood has been restored. I know this is THE only true church on the earth today! I know that there is a place for everyone in it! I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God! Something the Stake President said during stake conference was. "People may say we are not Christians, but we are THE Christian church." Just think about that. We are a part of His church! I love it!

Well, we are off, but I hope each of you have the best week ever! Remember you are loved! Remember what we are a part of right now! I love this gospel and I love you!

Love,
Sister Herring

No comments:

Post a Comment